Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wedding is a Fantasy, my job is to amplify that fantasy!

Wedding is one big fantasy, how often is it that we spend $5,6,7000 on a dress that we are planning to wear only once? invite 150-200 people for dinner and take care of the bill? How often do we blow $100,000 in a single day? FANTASY!!!

As a photographer, I recognize that fact, thus my job is to amplify that fantasy! My job is to make my bride look her absolute best. Brides tell me that I am silly, goofy, funny up until they see their photographs. They love them, they cry, they laugh and they remember all the emotions that they were feeling at the moment the photograph was taken.

I don't have a problem making a fool out of myself to make my bride and groom show off the emotions and feelings without a single reservation, hold back or embarrassment.

I just came back from a meeting with a bride that wants to book Treasure the Moments Photography to document her wedding day. The first thing she told me is that she wants the photographer to be a "fly on the wall".

I am sorry, a fly on the wall? You are booking a photographer, you are spending $5-$10,000 don't you want to know that the photographer is actually there and you are getting your money's worth? Bottom line is that now a days anybody can TAKE a picture, the camera's are great and if you give a 3 year old a point a shoot and ask them to take a photo, well one out of 20 shots might be usable. How many times do I see guests at a wedding photographing themselves? They don't even need us anymore :-).

On the other hand, how many can CREATE a photograph, evoke the emotion, create the moment? I love playing games with my couples, I want them to have fun. Some purists claim that I am imposing my own ideas onto my clients.... Well I am not, I am merely offering a suggestion that I know will cause a reaction. I have no idea what reaction but I will be there in the right place in the right time and capture it, making it look like the most photojournalistic moment has just occurred and I have captured it.

There are moments that you can not physically wait to occur. Or that magic will never happen.
Many photographers I talk with often tell me that I am lucky. Lucky??? I absolutely do not believe in luck. I work my behind off to get the photographs that my clients get.

I photograph each wedding with an incredible sense of urgency, honestly, photographing weddings for over 13 years I still feel that if I don't do my absolute best on the wedding day, i will be killed. This helps me be creative. So when photographers tell me I am lucky, that brides that they get are not "working it", I always tell them that absolutely not YOU ARE NOT WORKING IT!

Bottom line, I love photographing weddings, I think I will be doing what I love until the day that I crossover to another world. In the meantime, if you are a photographer do it for the love and the passion that have originally got you into photography.

Greg Khitrov 2009

2 comments:

Unknown said...

100% correct. Of all the photographs taken at my wedding, the only ones worth their weight were the ones taken by The Pro.

Anonymous said...

Exactamundo! When looking at a picture, you should not only see a single moment, but hear the music, taste the food, and feel the emotion of that moment. It is evident that you capture each milestone of the day in such a fashion, bringing the fantasy of the day to life. Professionalism coupled with genuine kindness, a positive attitude, and FUN is a breath of fresh air in the vast array of photographers that are out there. That’s what makes you different from others. Your passion seeps through your work and your philosophy couldn’t be more clear and simple - wedding is a fantasy to be captured and amplified!